Reader Discussion Guide
Reading A Mariner’s Tale in your book club/reading group? Use these questions as a starting point. If you’d like to connect with the author live or via Zoom/Skype/phone for your book club meeting, email JOE PALMER AUTHOR HERE.
- What were your favorite parts of A Mariner’s Tale? Least favorite parts?
- What did you feel after reading it? Did you feel like a mere observer or did you feel like the author drew you into the story?
- Which was your favorite character and why?
- The author used vivid descriptions of place and setting in this story. Was it well done? Overdone? Have you ever been anywhere that this place reminds you of?
- Two of the themes in A Mariner’s Tale are loss and redemption. Who is redeemed and who do you think experiences the greatest loss?
- What objects or events in this story are metaphors for something else? Discuss.
- Doug and Merkel have a mentor/protégé relationship. Do you know of another older person and younger person with a similar relationship? Is it or was it successful? How does it compare to that of Doug and Merkel?
- Margie was originally planned as a minor, transitional character. Could this story have been told without her presence in it? Would it have made the story better or would it have not been as good without her?
- What are some other books that this one reminds you of? Would you recommend this book to your best friend/spouse/significant other?
- If you could make a movie of this book, which actors would you cast as the various characters?